A major concern of service members with families is whether they have enough life insurance. It is important to make arrangements for adequate health care insurance for you and your family. Bills for medical care can be devastating without insurance.
The Military offers excellent benefits and competitive insurance rates. You’ll also receive comprehensive medical and dental care. In addition, you’ll get full pay and allowances for any sick days you may need to take, and they offer low-cost life insurance up to $400,000. Family members may receive medical care at military or civilian facilities through various options for little or no cost.
The following is a summary of life insurance and what you need to know:
- Servicemembers Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
- Family Servicemember’s Group Life Insurance (FSGLI)
- Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (S-DVI)
- Traumatic Injury Protection (TSGLI)
- Veterans Group Life Insurance (VGLI)
- Veterans’ Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI)
Spouse life insurance coverage is available for up to $100,000 but must not exceed the amount of coverage for the service member. Life insurance coverage for the spouse is based on the age of the spouse, though no health exam is required. Dependent children are covered at $10,000 each at no cost.