* Updated November 2015
Here is a list of items that you might want to bring to Army Basic Combat Training (BCT). It will make your time at boot camp much more pleasant.
- One-day supply of casual, comfortable clothing (no halter-tops or ragged shorts)
- Three sets of underwear (white)
- One pair of white, calf-length athletic socks (no color bands, designs or logos). Additional socks will be purchased at the post exchange (PX)
- A pair of comfortable shoes
- Eyeglasses (no faddish/stylish eyewear)
- Luggage should be limited to one small suitcase or gym bag
- One lock (combination or padlock with two keys) Additional lock will be purchased at PX
- Disposable/safety razor with blades (shaving cream is optional for women).
- Toothbrush with case
- Hairbrush or 6″ black comb
- One washcloth and towel (Additional items will be purchased at the PX)
- Shower shoes
- Dental floss
- Soap and soap case
- $10.00, but no more than $50.00 in cash Traveler’s Checks or Money Orders (Personal checks are not recommended because of limited check-cashing facilities.)
Documents you may need
- Social Security card
- Valid driver’s license or current state identification card
- A direct deposit form from your checking account signed by a bank official, or the name, address, account number and routing number of your financial institution (if applicable)
- Original or certified copies of your marriage certificate, divorce decree or separation order (if applicable)
- Original or certified copies of birth certificates of children under 18; affidavit of support for parents; court documents and direct deposit forms if ordered to pay spousal and/or child support (if applicable)
- Proof of citizenship (if you were not born in the United States)
- If you are married to a service member in the military, have the name, Social Security number and military address of your spouse
- Copies of your lease agreement or rental contract for any dependents residing outside of government quarters (if applicable)
- Original or certified ROTC documentation (if applicable)
- Original college transcripts; GED or high school diploma
- Be sure to have all copies of orders and documents issued by your unit Recruiter and/or MEPS. These orders must be delivered by you and by hand. Travel and meal tickets will be provided.
Additional Information for Women
- Undergarments: Panties (cotton recommended), bras, and one full slip (all neutral shade), flesh-tone nylons or pantyhose.
- Hairstyles not considered appropriate when in uniform: Ponytail, extreme bouffant styles, exotic upsweeps and the corkscrew or "corn row" styles.
- Do not mix items of civilian clothing with your uniform and vice versa.
- You may wear quarter-inch or less pearl, gold, silver or diamond spherical earrings with Army uniforms, except for the Battle Dress Uniform and Physical Fitness Uniform
You can also find a list of what NOT to bring to basic training.