SOCGuard was established to foster partnerships in education in support of Army National Guard (ARNG) education activities. SOCGuard functions as the liaison between the higher education community and the Army National Guard.
The SOCGuard project staff, in cooperation with the National Guard Bureau Education Division and education services personnel within each state, provides ARNG Soldiers with education advice and coordinates with SOC colleges to help ARNG Soldiers realize their full military and civilian potential by pursuing a college education and developing career plans.
Additionally, SOCGuard encourages colleges and universities to apply for SOC Consortium membership, partner in education with the ARNG, and further education opportunities for Guard members.
The Army National Guard (ARNG) offers more programs for civilian education than any other Active or Reserve Component of the armed services.
The Army National Guard is a source of funding for college and other education benefits for qualified students. Recruits select, apply for and gain admission to local colleges at the same time that they enlist in the ARNG. ESOs can help enlistees apply for admission to SOC colleges in their home areas. While they are enrolled at the SOC college they will pursue a degree while fulfilling their military obligation to the ARNG. SOC colleges evaluate ACE-recommended academic credit for military training and occupational experiences for Guard members.
This combination of federal financial incentives and unique state benefits can significantly reduce the cost of a college education.
- College enrollment without delay (full- or part-time)
- Manageable Guard obligation – one weekend a month /two weeks in the summer
- Guard drill pay and allowances
- Comprehensive package of education benefits:
- GI Bill programs (benefit for eligible Soldiers)
- ARNG GI Bill Kicker (for eligible Soldiers)
- Federal Tuition Assistance Program
- State Tuition Programs (where applicable)
- Student Loan Repayment Program
- College credit for military training and job experience
- Leadership training and officer commissioning opportunities
- ROTC scholarships for Guard members
- Free college examinations for Soldiers and spouses