It was a neglected old golf course that had been serving our military since the time it was built around 1955, most likely by Veterans Administration maintenance workers. The U.S. Government discontinued funding for VA golf courses in 1995, the course became sun-scorched and almost unusable due to the broken sprinkler system and a lack of funding for general maintenance.
Once on the brink of extinction, it’s now like a phoenix rising from the ashes. The Friends of American Lake Veterans Golf Course goal is to promote the rehabilitation of our disabled veterans through the healing power of golf, in an atmosphere of camaraderie that aids in the healing transition of their physical, mental and emotional challenges.
Golf is much more than a simple game, even for the well and able-bodied. It requires complex mental and physical concentration; it builds strength, range of motion, and balance.
It can be enjoyed as a solitary sport with individual goals, and it can be a very social activity. For wounded veterans, golf offers a doorway to hope and a path to strength – physical, emotional, and spiritual.
The American Lake Golf Course is a nine hole golf course with front nine/back nine T-Boxes – (Par 35+36=71), operated and maintained by an all volunteer force consisting of grounds crews, maintenance personnel, operations folks, and management personnel. The course is not supported by government funds. Operating and capital costs are paid with annual pass and daily green fee revenues.
For more information, contact the American Lake Veterans Golf Course at –
9600 Veterans Drive Southwest
Tacoma, WA 98493-0001
The American Lake Veterans Golf Course is dedicated to providing, teaching and promoting the benefits of golf to veterans. VA Puget Sound Health Care System has a population of in-patient and outpatient veterans that have disabilities. The American Lake Veterans Golf Course is committed to providing a therapeutic environment where accommodation is welcome and all golfers can enjoy the benefits of golf, such as exercise and relaxation in a positive and accepting social environment. With these benefits it is our vision that through golf, veterans will increase their independence and improve their attitudes toward health and Thus, their lives will be enriched.
Who is authorized to play at the American Lake Golf Course?
- Hospital in-patients and their guests have first priority on the course.
- Persons in possession of a Veterans Universal Access Identification Card and their guests are authorized access to the course.
- With proper identification, all VA employees and retired VA employees and their guest may use the course.
- VA volunteers with proper identification and their guests are authorized to play on the course.
- Active duty and retired military with military ID cards and their guests may play on the course.
- Guests 7 years of age and older when accompanied by their sponsors are allowed to play. Three guests are allowed for each authorized player and must be accompanied by their sponsor while on the course.