The monthly entitlement exists when a member receiving basic pay performs duty for any part of the month subject to Hostile Fire/Imminent Danger Pay (HFP/IDP).
A member is entitled to IDP when assigned to a designated IDP area. To see which areas are designated as IDP areas, view figure 10-1 in the DOD Financial Management Regulation. The commander determines HFP based on whether a member is:
- Subject to hostile fire or mine explosions
- In an area near hostile fire or mine explosions which endanger the member
- Killed, injured, or wounded by hostile fire, mines, or any hostile action.
Three special situations affect HFP/IDP. These apply to members who are:
- Captured or missing
- Hospitalized as a result of hostile action
- Otherwise entitled to HFP/IDP but are missing from the area for an entire calendar month
HFP/IDP is payable at the monthly rate of $225.00 regardless of the duration that establishes the entitlement. Active and reserve component members receive the full monthly benefit regardless of the number of days they are on active duty or the number of days for which basic pay is paid.