Do you possess boundless ideas and creativity and always think of new ways to organize and strategize? Warfare today has new rules and calls for a different type of Soldier, a new warrior. You need to be mentally superior and creative, highly trained and physically tough. Alone and part of a team, you will work in diverse conditions, act as a diplomat, get the job done in hostile situations and, sometimes establish residence in a foreign country for months. Green Beret Soldiers are part of the Army’s Special Forces (SF)–the Army’s most specialized experts in Unconventional Warfare.
To become part of the Army’s Green Berets, you need to be mentally and physically tough. To qualify you must be able to endure difficult training and face challenges head on. You must also:
- Be a male, age 18-30 (Special Forces positions are not open to women)
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be a high school diploma graduate
- Achieve a General Technical score of 110 or higher and a combat operation score of 98 on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB).
- Qualify for a secret security clearance.
- Qualify and volunteer for Airborne training
- Take Defense Language Aptitude Battery or Defense Language Proficiency Test
- Achieve a minimum of 60 points on each event and overall minimum score of 229 on the Army Physical Fitness Test
Besides being part of the world’s most highly trained force, other benefits include:
- Enlistment bonus of up to $20,000
- Up to $70,000 to further your education
- 30 days vacation
- Complete medical and dental care
- Specialized Army training
- Leadership skills