Abdominal Organs and Gastrointestinal System
Current or history of esophageal disease, including, but not limited to ulceration, varices, fistula, achalasia, or Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) (530.81), or complications from GERD including stricture, or maintenance on acid suppression medication, or other dysmotility disorders; chronic, or recurrent esophagitis (530.1), is disqualifying. Current or history of reactive airway disease associated with GERD is disqualifying. Current or history of dysmotility disorders, chronic, or recurrent esophagitis (530) is disqualifying. History of surgical correction for GERD within 6 months is disqualifying. (P42 esophageal correction, P43 stomach correction and P45 intestinal correction.)
b. Stomach and duodenum.
(1) Current gastritis, chronic or severe (535), or non-ulcerative dyspepsia that requires maintenance medication is disqualifying.
(2) Current ulcer of stomach or duodenum confirmed by x-ray or endoscopy (533) is disqualifying.
(3) History of surgery for peptic ulceration or perforation is disqualifying.
c. Small and large intestine.
(1) Current or history of inflammatory bowel disease, including, but not limited to unspecified (558.9), regional enteritis or Crohn's disease (555), ulcerative colitis (556), or ulcerative proctitis (556), is disqualifying.
(2) Current or history of intestinal malabsorption syndromes, including, but not limited to post-surgical and idiopathic (579), is disqualifying. Lactase deficiency is disqualifying only if of sufficient severity to require frequent intervention, or to interfere with normal function
(3) Current or history of gastrointestinal functional and motility disorders within the past 2 years, including, but not limited to pseudo-obstruction, megacolon, history of volvulus, or chronic constipation and/or diarrhea (787.91), regardless of cause, persisting or symptomatic in the past 2 years, is disqualifying.
(4) Current or history of irritable bowel syndrome (564.1) of sufficient severity to require frequent intervention or to interfere with normal function is disqualifying.
(5) History of bowel resection is disqualifying.
(6) Current symptomatic diverticular disease of the intestine is disqualifying.
d. Gastrointestinal bleeding.
History of gastrointestinal bleeding (578), including positive occult blood (792.1) if the cause has not been corrected, is disqualifying. Meckel's diverticulum (751.0), if surgically corrected greater than 6 months prior, is not disqualifying.
e. Hepatic-biliary tract.
(1) Current acute or chronic hepatitis, hepatitis carrier state (070), hepatitis in the preceding 6 months, or persistence of symptoms after 6 months, or objective evidence of impairment of liver function is disqualifying.
(2) Current or history of cirrhosis (571), hepatic cysts (573.8), abscess (572.0), or sequelae of chronic liver disease
(571.3) is disqualifying.
( 3 ) Current or history of symtomatic cholecystitis, acute or cronic, with or without cholelithiasis. (574) postcholecystectomy syndrome, or other disorders of the gallbladder and biliary system (576) are disqualifying.
Cholecystectomy is not disqualifying if performed greater than 6 months prior to examination and patient remains asymptomatic. Fiberoptic procedure to correct sphincter dysfunction or cholelithiasis if performed greater than 6 months prior to examination and patient remains asymptomatic may not be disqualifying.
(4) Current or history of pancreatitis, acute (577.0) or chronic (577.1), is disqualifying.
(5) Current or history of metabolic liver disease, including, but not limited to hemochromatosis (275.0), Wilson's disease (275.1), or alpha-1 anti-trypsin deficiency (277.6), is disqualifying
(6) Current enlargement of the liver from any cause (789.1) is disqualifying.
(1) Current anal fissure or anal fistula (565) is disqualifying.
(2) Current or history of anal or rectal polyp (569.0), prolapse (569.1), stricture (569.2), or fecal incontinence
(787.6) within the last 2 years is disqualifying.
(3) Current hemorrhoid (internal or external), when large, symptomatic, or with a history of bleeding (455) within
the last 60 days, is disqualifying.
(1) Current splenomegaly (789.2) is disqualifying.
(2) History of splenectomy (P41.5) is disqualifying, except when resulting from trauma.
h. Abdominal wall.
(1) Current hernia, including, but not limited to uncorrected inguinal (550) and other abdominal wall hernias (553), are disqualifying.
(2) History of open or laparoscopic abdominal surgery during the preceding 6 months (P54) is disqualifying.
History of any gastrointestinal procedure for the control of obesity is disqualifying. Artificial openings, including, but not limited to ostomy (V44), are disqualifying.
View a listing of all Enlisting Requirements :
Enlisting Requirements - General
Enlisting Requirements - Blood
Enlisting Requirements - Abdominal Organs
Enlisting Requirements - Dental
Enlisting Requirements - Ears
Enlisting Requirements - Hearing
Enlisting Requirements - Endocrine
Enlisting Requirements - Extremities
Enlisting Requirements - Eyes and Vision
Enlisting Requirements - Genitalia
Enlisting Requirements - Urinary System
Enlisting Requirements - Head and Neck
Enlisting Requirements - Heart and Vascular
Enlisting Requirements - Height and Weight
Enlisting Requirements - Lungs
Enlisting Requirements - Mouth
Enlisting Requirements - Neurological Disorders
Enlisting Requirements - Skin and Cellular Tissue
Enlisting Requirements - Spine
Enlisting Requirements - Systematic Disorders
Enlisting Requirements - Tumors and Defects