Reclassification, Cross Rate or Change of MOS

Once you have enlisted and been assigned to a particular job the ability to change is not a guarantee. The procedure varies depending on your branch as well as other reasons such as where there are a lack of people and your talents. It is clearly not to the militaries benefit to change soldier’s jobs for a reason non beneficial to them because of the training and other cost associated with the transfer. , or military job. This is particularly the case for new recruits who may not have fully understood the MOS they signed up for before heading to boot camp.

In the Army changing your MOS or Military Occupations Specialty is also called reclassification. The ability to reclassify is most common when and where there is a shortage in a particular MOS. It allows soldiers to improve career development and be promoted while also helping the Army.

Mandatory Reclassification
The Army sometimes tries to reshape and adjust its personnel structure by reclassification and other methods often referred to as realignment. In this process the US Army Human Resources Command (HRC) not only moves soldiers to positions where they are stronger but also sometimes moves soldiers from over strength to under strength MOSs. It helps to ensure the right soldiers, are in the right place, at the right time and that areas remain balanced.

Soldiers selected for reclassification by HRC will benefit in the long run since moving soldiers into an under strength MOS will expand their opportunity for promotion and career-enhancing assignments.

If you would like to “cross-rate” or change your job in the U. S. Navy, the rules will vary depending on many factors. Your Command Career Counselor/Navy Career Counselor will be able to supply the exact answers for each individual situation.

  1. Verify that you meet the minimum requirements to apply for a change in your Navy job. If you have questions about what the requirements are you can reference the Navy Personnel Manual chapter 1440-010. The requirements and qualifications include things such as:
    1. Having served at least 24 months in your current rate (job)
    2. Having served less than 12 years in the U.S. Navy or Navy Reserve
    3. You must be a Petty Officer 1st Class (PO1) or below
    4. You must have zero non-judicial punishments (NJP) within the last 18 months
    5. You must be recommended by your Commanding Officer (CO)
  2. Meet with your chain of command (COC) to inform them of your intention to request to cross-rate. They will schedule a meeting for you and your Command Career Counselor/Navy Career Counselor to verify you meet the requirements to cross-rate and ensure you understand everything that is necessary to take this step.
  3. Complete an Enlisted Personnel Action Request Form 1306/7 to formally request to cross-rate. The completed form will be sent through your chain of command. If you are endorsed by your commanding officer, the request will be sent to Navy Personnel Command for a final decision based on the needs of the Navy at that time.
  4. Complete all necessary training (such as an “A” school) that might be required to fully complete your job change.

Learn more about joining the Army or educational opportunities!


Members of the U.S. Marine Corps who want to change their MOS Switching your MOS can be a difficult process, however, as the needs of the Marine Corps come first. Timing and choosing an MOS for which there is a need is key. If you have not attended basic training yet, simply ask your recruiter to change your MOS. If you’re already in the Corps, then you will have to file the proper paperwork.
Difficulty: Moderately Challenging

  1. Choose the MOS that you want to switch to. You should do thorough research to make sure you understand the duties of the new MOS.
  2. Submit a request for personnel action form. This will have to be approved by your chain of command.

If your request is approved you will be scheduled to receive training for the new MOS. If it is denied you can try again with a different MOS or wait until your current contract is up.

If you have trouble changing your MOS you can wait until your contract is up and request a new one before signing your reenlistment contract. You may also have better luck changing your MOS after two deployments. If you are having difficulty making a change and have a number of years left on your contract, you can fast track your eligibility by volunteering for overseas duty.

Powered by ZipRecruiter