Provide long-range indirect fire support to airborne, air assault, light infantry, mountain, and special operations forces.
Entered Army Service
Description and Specifications
The M224 is a high-angle weapon used for close-in support of ground troops. The M224 system consists of the M25 Cannon (tube), M170 Bipod, M7 Baseplate for conventional mode firing or M8 Baseplate for hand-held mode firing , and the M64A1 Sight Unit. This smooth bore system can be gravity-fired or fired by using a manual spring-loaded firing system.
- Cannon Length: 40 in (1.02 m)
- Max. Range: 3,490 m (conventional); 1,340 m (handheld)
- Min. Range: 70 m (conventional); 75 m (handheld)
- Weight: 48 lbs (conventional); 18 lbs (handheld)
- Rate of Fire: (dependent on ammunition round fired) Max.: 18-30 per minute for 1 to 4 minutes; Sustained: 8 to 20 per minute
- Ammunition: High-explosive / multioption fuze, high-explosive point detonating fuze, white phosphorous/smoke, and illumination
- Crew: 3