September 21, 2015, Kathryn Smith – The challenges in a military man’s life need no explanation. He / She has to contend with many difficulties in life including the fact that they have to be away from their families and loved ones for extended periods of time. Life can get worse if an army man cannot access some of the online services for communicating with their loved ones and for entertainment purposes.
This happens because some countries block specific websites for administrative, political and financial reasons (popularly known as Internet censorship). For example, some of the Middle East countries do not let you download Skye and other VOIP services. Hulu and Netflix, the popular movie and television channels are only available in some countries like the US and UK.
This is where a VPN connection comes into play. VPN services are no new inventions; but did you know the difference they make to an army man’s life? It is safe to say that army men who live and work all over the world are more in need of a VPN service than business people who use them for different purposes. A secure VPN connection could be the best friend an army man can have by his side, during his spare time.
The Different Uses of VPN for an Army Man
Apart from entertainment and communication, people in the army can use their VPN connection for different purposes. Here are some important reasons why army men should have their own VPN connections.
1) Any government or country would safeguard its military men with enough equipment and necessities, especially during a war or when in dangerous zones. However, men in the army can take extra care when relaying sensitive data to other soldiers and commanding officials. A VPN connection can help you be private when sharing locations or names of certain checkpoints, contacts or any other secret notifications.
2) Deployed in a remote place of a foreign country, army men may want to sign in to sensitive accounts such as credit card accounts, online banking and other military related websites and portals. He / she may want to input their military ID number or driving license number or Social Security number for accessing certain online service. A self-owned VPN connection is your best source for enjoying privacy during your online activities abroad.
3) It is not uncommon for military personnel to be offered official access to Internet connection; however, their access covers only basic arbitraries and timed activities like email checking. Men in the army usually have enough spare time that they may want to watch movies, play games or call their loved ones for longer periods of time. By having a personal VPN account, you will be able to access Skype, Hulu, Netflix and other regional services for as long as your time permits.
4) One of the most important aspects of a military group is to secure the identity of their informants. The platoon could be relying on a local informer for intelligence information. By using a VPN service, altering the IP and encrypting information, you will make way for safer communication. One has to remember that it is often a battle of life and death when such secret information is being shared between two parties.
5) Accessing your social media platform from remote places where you do not want to reveal your location, is possible by using a secure and private VPN connection.
Off late, we frequently hear about army data being intercepted. Leave alone the army, this is a threat to any service group doing their national duties. Such problems can be controlled, if not solved, by having an encrypted portal that protects sensitive data, which in turn can help you and your military colleagues be secured in a hostile territory.
So, whether you want a VPN connection for safeguarding yourself from prying activities or enabling the legitimate use of Internet services and websites, A VPN connection is your best solution. It maintains your online behavior privacy and enables you to connect through your regional tunnel. In short, it offers you the same capabilities that you would enjoy when at home.
Important Note: People in the army may be provided with military-specific VPNs and its functions may be different from that used by everyday citizens. A military specific-VPN may be designed to monitor and archive activities for future evaluation or designed with mission-ready and customized security features in mind.
About the Author: Kathryn Smith is a tech and military blogger who contributes and shares her experience on different blogging platforms. She loves to study and write about the military during her spare time. . Of late, she has been collecting various sources for Military Practice Quiz to help the young and budding National Heroes.