Spine and sacroiliac joints
a. Current or history of ankylosing spondylitis or other inflammatory spondylopathies (720) is disqualifying. (See para 2-11a.)
b. Current or history of any condition, including, but not limited to the spine or sacroiliac joints, with or without objective signs that:
(1) Prevents the individual from successfully following a physically active vocation in civilian life (724) or that is associated with local or referred pain to the extremities, muscular spasm, postural deformities, or limitation of motion is disqualifying.
(2) Requires external support is disqualifying.
(3) Requires limitation of physical activity or frequent treatment is disqualifying.
c. Current deviation or curvature of spine (737) from normal alignment, structure, or function is disqualifying if:
(1) It prevents the individual from following a physically active vocation in civilian life.
(2) It interferes with the proper wearing of a uniform or military equipment.
(3) It is symptomatic.
(4) There is lumbar scoliosis greater than 20 degrees, thoracic scoliosis greater than 30 degrees, or kyphosis and lordosis greater than 55 degrees when measured by the Cobb method.
d. History of congenital fusion (756.15), involving more than two vertebral bodies is disqualifying. Any surgical fusion of spinal vertebrae (P81.0) is disqualifying.
e. Current or history of fractures or dislocation of the vertebrae (805) is disqualifying. A compression fracture, involving less than 25 percent of a single vertebra is not disqualifying if the injury occurred more than 1 year before examination and the applicant is asymptomatic. A history of fractures of the transverse or spinous processes is not disqualifying if the applicant is asymptomatic.
f. History of juvenile epiphysitis (732.6) with any degree of residual change indicated by x-ray or kyphosis is disqualifying.
g. Current herniated nucleus pulposus (722) or history of surgery to correct this condition is disqualifying.
h. Current or history of spina bifida (741) when symptomatic, if there is more than one vertebra level involved or with dimpling of the overlying skin is disqualifying. History of surgical repair of spina bifida is disqualifying.
i. Current or history of spondylolysis (congenital (756.11) or acquired (738.4)) and spondylolisthesis (congenital (756.12) or acquired (738.4)) are disqualifying.
View a listing of all Enlisting Requirements :
Enlisting Requirements – General
Enlisting Requirements – Blood
Enlisting Requirements -Abdominal Organs
Enlisting Requirements – Dental
Enlisting Requirements – Ears
Enlisting Requirements – Hearing
Enlisting Requirements – Endocrine
Enlisting Requirements – Extremities
Enlisting Requirements – Eyes and Vision
Enlisting Requirements – Genitalia
Enlisting Requirements – Urinary System
Enlisting Requirements – Head and Neck
Enlisting Requirements – Heart and Vascular
Enlisting Requirements – Height and Weight
Enlisting Requirements – Lungs
Enlisting Requirements – Mouth
Enlisting Requirements – Neurological Disorders
Enlisting Requirements – Skin and Cellular Tissue
Enlisting Requirements – Spine
Enlisting Requirements – Systematic Disorders
Enlisting Requirements – Tumors and Defects