Skin and cellular tissues
a. Current diseases of sebaceous glands to include severe acne (706.1), if extensive involvement of the neck, shoulders, chest, or back is present or would be aggravated by or interfere with the proper wearing of military equipment, are disqualifying . Applicants under treatment with icretonoids , including, but not limited to,
isotretinoin (Accutane(r)) are disqualified until 8 (eight) weeks after completion of therapy.
b. Current or history of atopic dermatitis (691) or eczema (692) after the 9 th birthday is disqualifying.
c. Current or history of contact dermatitis (692.4), especially involving materials used in any type of required protective equipment, is disqualifying.
(1) Current cysts (706.2), (other than pilonidal cysts) of such a size or location as to interfere with the proper wearing of military equipment is disqualifying.
(2) Current pilonidal cysts (685), if evidenced by the presence of a tumor mass or a discharging sinus is disqualifying. Surgically resected pilonidal cystthatis symptomatic, unhealed, or less than 6 month post- operative is disqualifying.
e. Current or history of bullous dermatoses (694), including, but not limited to dermatitis herpetiformis, pemphigus, and epidermolysis bullosa, is disqualifying.
f. Current chronic lymphedema (457.1) is disqualifying.
g. Current localized types of fungus infections (117), interfering with the proper wearing of military equipment or the performance of military duties, are disqualifying. (For systemic fungal infections, refer to paragraph 2-30.)
h. Current or history of furunculosis or carbuncle (680), if extensive, recurrent, or chronic is disqualifying.
i. Current or history of severe hyperhidrosis of hands or feet (780.8) is disqualifying.
j. Current or history of congenital (757) or acquired (216) anomalies of the skin such as nevi or vascular tumors that interfere with function, or are exposed to constant irritation are disqualifying. History of Dysplastic Nevus Syndrome (232) is disqualifying.
k. Current or history of keloid formation (701.4), if the tendency is marked or interferes with the proper wearing of military equipment, is disqualifying.
l. Current lichen planus (697.0) is disqualifying.
m. Current or history of neurofibromatosis (von Recklinghausen’s disease) (237.7) is disqualifying.
n. History of photosensitivity (692.72), including, but not limited to any primary sun-sensitive condition, such as polymorphous light eruption or solar urticaria; any dermatosis aggravated by sunlight such as lupus erythematosus is disqualifying.
o. Current or history of psoriasis (696.1) is disqualifying.
p. Current or history of radiodermatitis (692.82) is disqualifying.
q. Current scars (709.2), or any other chronic skin disorder of a degree or nature that requires frequent outpatient treatment or hospitalization, which in the opinion of the certifying authority affects thermoregulatory function, or will interfere with the wearing of military clothing or equipment, or which exhibits a tendency to ulcerate, or interferes with the satisfactory performance of duty, are disqualifying. Includes scars at skin graft donor or recipient sites. Scars at skin graft donor or recipient sites will include an evaluation of not only the relative total size of the burn wound, but
AR 40-501 – 14 December 2007 15, also the measurable effects of the wound, the location of the wound and the risk of subsequent injury related to the wound itself.
(1) Prior burn injury (to include donor sites) involving a total body surface area of 40 percent or more is disqualifying.
(2) Prior burn injury involving less than 40 percent total body surface area, which results in a loss or degradation of thermoregulatory function is disqualifying. Examination will focus on the depth of the burn, anatomic location (extensive burns on the torso will most significantly impair heat dissipation), and destruction of sweat glands.
(3) Prior burn injury susceptible to trauma or resulting in functional impairment to such a degree as to interfere with the satisfactory performance of military duty, due to decreased range of motion, strength, or agility due to burn wound/scarring is disqualifying.
r. Current or history of extensive scleroderma (710.1) is disqualifying.
s. Tattoos (709.9) that are otherwise prohibited under AR 670-1 are disqualifying.
t. Current of history of chronic or recurrent urticaria (708.8) is disqualifying.
u. Current symptomatic plantar wart(s) (078.19) is disqualifying.
View a listing of all Enlisting Requirements :
Enlisting Requirements – General
Enlisting Requirements – Blood
Enlisting Requirements -Abdominal Organs
Enlisting Requirements – Dental
Enlisting Requirements – Ears
Enlisting Requirements – Hearing
Enlisting Requirements – Endocrine
Enlisting Requirements – Extremities
Enlisting Requirements – Eyes and Vision
Enlisting Requirements – Genitalia
Enlisting Requirements – Urinary System
Enlisting Requirements – Head and Neck
Enlisting Requirements – Heart and Vascular
Enlisting Requirements – Height and Weight
Enlisting Requirements – Lungs
Enlisting Requirements – Mouth
Enlisting Requirements – Neurological Disorders
Enlisting Requirements – Skin and Cellular Tissue
Enlisting Requirements – Spine
Enlisting Requirements – Systematic Disorders
Enlisting Requirements – Tumors and Defects