a. Limitation of motion. Current joint ranges of motion less than the measurements listed below are disqualifying.
(1) Shoulder (726.1):
(a) Forward elevation to 90 degrees.
(b) Abduction to 90 degrees.
(2) Elbow (726.3):
(a) Flexion to 100 degrees.
(b) Extension to 15 degrees.
(3) Wrist (726.4): A total range of 60 degrees (extension plus flexion) or radial and ulnar deviation combined arc 30 degrees.
(4) Hand (726.4):
(a) Pronation to 45 degrees.
(b) Supination to 45 degrees.
(5) Fingers and thumb (726.4): Inability to clench fist, pick up a pin, grasp an object, or touch tips of at least three fingers with thumb.
b. Hand and fingers.
(1) Current absence of the distal phalanx of either thumb (885) is disqualifying.
(2) Current absence of distal and middle phalanx of an index, middle, or ring finger of either hand, irrespective of the absence of the little finger (886), is disqualifying.
(3) Current absence of more than the distal phalanx of any two of the following fingers: index, middle finger, or ring finger of either hand (886) is disqualifying.
(4) Current absence of hand or any portion thereof (887) is disqualifying except for specific absences of fingers as noted above.
(5) Current polydactyly (755) is disqualifying.
(6) Scars and deformities of the fingers or hand (905.2) that are symptomatic or that impair normal function to such a degree as to interfere with the satisfactory performance of military duty are disqualifying (see also para 2-32).
(7) Current intrinsic paralysis or weakness of upper limbs, including nerve paralysis, carpal tunnel and cubital syndromes, lesion of ulnar and radial nerve (354) sufficient to produce physical findings in the hand, such as muscle atrophy and weakness is disqualifying.
(8) Current disease, injury, or congenital condition with residual weakness or symptoms such as to prevent satisfactory performance of duty, including, but not limited to chronic joint pain: shoulder (719.41), upper arm
(719.42), forearm (719.43), and hand (719.44), late effect of fracture of the upper extremities (905.2), late effect of sprains without mention of injury (905.7), and late effects of tendon injury (905.8) are disqualifying.
a. Limitation of motion. Current joint ranges of motion less than the measurements listed in paragraphs below are disqualifying.
(1) Hip (due to disease (726.5), or injury (905.2)):
(a) Flexion to 90 degrees.
(b) No demonstrable flexion contracture
(c) Extension to 10 degrees (beyond 0 degrees).
(d) Abduction to 45 degrees.
(e) Rotation of 60 degrees (internal and external combined).
(2) Knee (due to disease (726.6), or injury (905.4)):
(a) Full extension to 0 degrees.
(b) Flexion to 110 degrees.
(3) Ankle (due to disease (726.7), or injury (905.4) or congenital defect):
(a) Dorsiflexion to 10 degrees.
(b) Planter flexion to 30 degrees.
(4) Subtalar eversion and inversion totaling 5 degrees (due to disease (726.7) or injury (905.4) or congenital defect).
b. Foot and ankle.
(1) Current absence of a foot or any portion thereof (896) is disqualifying.
(2) Current or history of deformities of the toes (acquired (735) or congenital (755.66)) including, but not limited to conditions such as hallux valgus (735.0), hallux varus (735.1), hallux rigidicus (735.2), hammer toe(s) (735.4), claw toe(s) (735.5), overriding toe(s) (735.8), that prevents the proper wearing of military footwear or impairs walking, marching, running, or jumping, are disqualifying.
(3) Current or history of clubfoot (754.70) or pes cavus (754.71) that prevents the proper wearing of military footwear or impairs walking, marching, running, or jumping is disqualifying.
(4) Current symptomatic pes planus (acquired (734) or congenital (754.6)) or history of pes planus corrected by prescription or custom orthotics is disqualifying.
(5) Current ingrown toenails (703.0), if infected or symptomatic, are disqualifying.
(6) Current plantar fasciitis (728.71) is disqualifying.
(7) Current neuroma (355.6) that is refractory to medical treatment, or impairs walking, marching, running, or jumping, or prevents the proper wearing of military footwear, is disqualifying.
c. Leg, knee, thigh, and hip.
(1) Current loose or foreign body within the knee joint (717.6) is disqualifying.
(2) History of uncorrected anterior (717.83) or posterior (717.84) cruciate ligament injury is disqualifying. History of surgical correction of knee ligaments is disqualifying only if symptomatic or unstable (P81.4).
(3) Current symptomatic medial and lateral collateral ligament injury is disqualifying.
(4) Current symptomatic medial and lateral meniscal injury is disqualifying.
(5) Current unspecified internal derangement of the knee (717.9) is disqualifying.
(6) Current or history of congenital dislocation of the hip (754.3), osteochondritis of the hip (Legg-Perthes disease) (732.1), or slipped femoral epiphysis of the hip (732.2) is disqualifying.
(7) Current or history of hip dislocation (835) within 2 years preceding examination is disqualifying.
( 8 ) Current Osteochondritis of the tibial tuberosity (Osgood-Schlatter disease) (732.4) is disqualifying if symptomatic.
(1) Current deformities, disease, or chronic joint pain of pelvic region, thigh (719.45), lower leg (719.46), ankle and/ or foot (719.47) that have interfered with function to such a degree as to prevent the individual from following a physically active vocation in civilian life, or that would interfere with walking, running, weight bearing, or the
satisfactory completion of training or military duty, are disqualifying.
(2) Current leg-length discrepancy resulting in a limp (736.81) is disqualifying.
Miscellaneous conditions of the extremities
a. Current or history of chondromalacia (717.7), including, but not limited to chronic patello-femoral pain syndrome and retro-patellar pain syndrome, chronic osteoarthritis (715.3) or traumatic arthritis (716.1) is disqualifying.
b. Current joint dislocation if unreduced, or history of recurrent dislocations of any major joint such as shoulder (831), hip (835), elbow (832), knee (836), ankle (837), or instability of any major joint (shoulder (718.81), elbow (718.82), hip (718.85), ankle and foot (718.87) or multiple sites (718.89)) is disqualifying. History of recurrent
instability of the knee or shoulder is disqualifying.
c. Current or history of chronic osteoarthritis (715.3) or traumatic arthritis (716.1) of isolated joints of more than a minimal degree that has interfered with the following of a physically active vocation in civilian life, or that prevents the satisfactory performance of military duty is disqualifying.
(1) Current malunion or non-union of any fracture (733.8) (except asymptomatic ulnar styloid process fracture) is disqualifying.
(2) Current retained hardware that is symptomatic, interferes with proper wearing of protective equipment or military uniform, and/or is subject to easy trauma, is disqualifying (V53.7). Retained hardware (733.99) (including plates, pins, rods, wires, or screws used for fixation) is not disqualifying if fractures are healed, ligaments are stable, there is no pain, and it is not subject to easy trauma.
e. Current devices, including, but not limited to silastic or titanium, implanted to correct orthopedic abnormalities (V43), are disqualifying.
f. Current or history of contusion of bone or joint; an injury of more than a minor nature that will interfere or prevent performance of military duty, or will require frequent or prolonged treatment without fracture nerve injury, open wound, crush or dislocation, which occurred within the preceding 6 weeks (upper extremity (923), lower
extremity (924), ribs and clavicle (922)) is disqualifying.
g. History of joint replacement (V43.6) of any site is disqualifying.
h. Current or history of muscular paralysis, contracture, or atrophy (728), if progressive or of sufficient degree to interfere with or prevent satisfactory performance of military duty or if it will require frequent or prolonged treatment, is disqualifying.
i. Current osteochondritis dessicans (732.7) is disqualifying.
j. Current or history of osteochondromatosis or multiple cartilaginous exostoses (727.82) are disqualifying.
k. Current osteoporosis (733) is disqualifying.
l. Current osteomyelitis (730), or history of recurrent osteomyelitis is disqualifying.
View a listing of all Enlisting Requirements :
Enlisting Requirements – General
Enlisting Requirements – Blood
Enlisting Requirements -Abdominal Organs
Enlisting Requirements – Dental
Enlisting Requirements – Ears
Enlisting Requirements – Hearing
Enlisting Requirements – Endocrine
Enlisting Requirements – Extremities
Enlisting Requirements – Eyes and Vision
Enlisting Requirements – Genitalia
Enlisting Requirements – Urinary System
Enlisting Requirements – Head and Neck
Enlisting Requirements – Heart and Vascular
Enlisting Requirements – Height and Weight
Enlisting Requirements – Lungs
Enlisting Requirements – Mouth
Enlisting Requirements – Neurological Disorders
Enlisting Requirements – Skin and Cellular Tissue
Enlisting Requirements – Spine
Enlisting Requirements – Systematic Disorders
Enlisting Requirements – Tumors and Defects