Sailor and Marine Corps American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART) is an academically accepted record that is validated by ACE. The primary purpose of SMART is to assist service members in obtaining college credit for their military experience, assists in opportunities to finish a college degree, and offsets tuition assistance costs.
SMART has replaced the DD295, the Application for Evaluation of Learning Experiences during Military Service, which is the form currently submitted to colleges by Sailors and Marines to verify their military experiences. The DD295 may still be necessary to document some training and experience that is not contained in and cannot be added to current personnel and training databases.
SMART contains the following details:
- Military training courses
- College level examinations
- CLEP tests
- DANTES subject standardized tests (DSSTs)
- ACE credits, and
- Regent College examinations (RCEs)
To obtain a copy of SMART,
SMART has two versions, both of which include all components listed above:
- Individual Copy
- personal, unofficial copy for individual use only
- also contains instructions for correcting errors or omissions.
To obtain your individual, unofficial SMART: click the link below.
To order a copy of the official, institutional SMART, you can
- contact the registrar office from the institution you wish to send it to, to determine the correct address before you request.
- complete the request form; obtain it from your local College office or education center, or download it from https://smart.navy.mil/.
- mail or fax the SMART form with the number or address on the form and the copy will be ordered and mailed, or
- submit in it person to your local Navy college center or Marine corps education center.
For more information, visit Navy College Program’s SMART section.