Are you are interested in earning a living while embracing your passion for music? Check out what the Army Band Program has to offer!
Dating back over 225 years to the Revolutionary War, band members have been an important part of the U.S. Army. The program offers talented musicians unique opportunities and benefits. You will play professional quality instruments, enjoy paid vacations, receive medical and dental benefits for you and your family and take advantage of educational benefits like money for college. Members perform all over the world to boost Soldiers’ morale, entertain civilians, and to assist with military ceremonies. As a member of the Army Band Program, you will be given the creative freedom to perform a wide variety of music styles alongside fellow musicians who also have a passion for music. Guarantee yourself a career in music!
Benefits & Initiatives
As a member of the Army Band Program, playing music will be your job. You will receive benefits that will allow you the freedom to concentrate on your music without worrying about where you will receive your next paycheck. Other benefits include:
- Money for College
- The Montgomery GI Bill and the Army College Fund (up to $70,000) OR
- The Army College Loan Repayment Program (up to $65,000) can help you with student loan payments
- High Grad Bonus for all instruments:
- 30 or more college credit hours = $3,000
- 60 or more college credit hours = $6,000
- 2 year Associates Degree or Equivalent = $7,000
- 4 year Bachelors Degree or Equivalent = $8,000
- The Army Civilian Acquired Skills Program (ACASP) Bonus = $3000
- Health care, life insurance and other essential benefits are provided at low or no cost
- Tuition Assistance pays 100 percent of your educational benefits while on Active Duty
- Entrance into the Army at an advanced pay grade
- Travel around the country (and the world) making great music
- Station of choice from available bands 90 days prior to Basic Training Departure
- Professional quality instruments, supplies and music provided free of charge
- Enlistment bonus for French Horn, Clarinet, Oboe and Bassoon (additional bonus for Keyboard):
- $2,000 for three-year enlistment/$3,000 for Keyboard
- $3,000 for four-year enlistment/$5,000 for Keyboard
- $5,000 for five-year enlistment/$7,000 for Keyboard
- $6,000 for six-year enlistment/$8,000 for Keyboard
The Army Band Program is open to talented musicians, male or female, who are qualified to enlist in the Army and can pass a prearranged audition. The program is for anyone who has a passion for his/her instrument and a love for playing and performing music.
Once you are accepted into the Army Band Program, you will be required to complete nine weeks of Basic Combat Training (BCT) where you will learn the fundamentals of being a Soldier.
After BCT, you will get down to 24 weeks of serious musical study at Advanced Individual Training (AIT) located at the School of Music in Norfolk, VA. Once you have completed AIT, you will then be assigned to a band and will begin doing what you love… Practicing, playing and performing.
The first step to joining the Army Band Program is the audition. When and where this takes place will be worked out with your Recruiter, the auditioner and you. At the audition the main interest is in your sight-reading ability and demonstrated musicianship, i.e. tone, technique, rhythm and intonation.