JULY 19, 2019 – The Total Army Sponsorship Program (TASP) is a commander’s program designed to assist Soldiers, Families, and Army Civilian employees during relocation. Sponsors, ideally Soldiers and Army Civilians with significant time on station, provide incoming personnel with information and referral services about the installation and community.
The Army continues to improve the TASP to insure Soldiers, Families and Army Civilians have appropriate sponsorship before and during transition. Since 2014, the Army has:
- Incorporated sponsorship training into the Army Learning Management System.
- Released the Army Career Tracker (ACT) Sponsorship Module that created standardized sponsorship procedures.
- Implemented a tiered approach to focus on those most vulnerable to increased at-risk behaviors and actions during transitions. Priority is placed on first-term and junior enlisted Soldiers.
- Linked sponsorship to the Organization Inspection Program.
- Developed the Army Command Sponsorship Dashboard within ACT that offers leader’s the ability to view and monitor their programs. This tool provides oversight metrics of incoming and outgoing sponsorship details.
TASP, administered correctly, inherently reduces the stress created by Permanent Change of Station moves. The Army plans to release a Directive mandating assignment of a reactionary sponsor within 24-hours for any first term or junior enlisted Soldiers arriving at an installation without an assigned sponsor. The Army Secretary also directed a 2019 Department of the Army Inspector General TASP Inspection, to assess the program’s effectiveness in assisting new and relocating Soldiers, Families, and Army Civilians. This inspection is ongoing.
Mission success depends on the well-being of a Soldier and his/her Family. Soldiers, Families, and Army Civilians encounter increased stress during transition. TASP reduces transition stress and helps Army personnel safely relocate and integrate into new units, installations, and communities, thus enhancing Army readiness.
Provided by Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff for Installation Management