The U.S. Military offers one of the best benefits you could want from a job: they give you money for an education. Through the G.I. Bill, soldiers and their families get money to use for college. But one of the drawbacks of life in the military is moving around, sometimes frequently, making it difficult to schedule classes or keep up with class work. One answer may be online degrees.
As a military spouse, you may be eligible for education benefits through the following education resources:
- Scholarships, Grants, and Discounts
- Transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits
- Tuition assistance and financial aid
There are thousands of programs online that offer degree programs but before you choose one you should do your "home work" and research the programs available to you. Like in every business there are plenty of places that are just interested in taking your money.
Here are some questions to ask before you pick an online school:
- Is the school operating with the supervision of the state or professional agency?
- Does the school have a high level of standards? Are they just handing out diplomas?
- Do you have to attend actual classes online? Or do you simply send your money and receive your diploma?
- Is the online school authorized for Tuition Assistance, the GI Bill or Federal Financial Aid.
- Is the school accredited by a legitimate education agencies or the U.S. Dept. of Education? Ask for credentials. Ask for the teacher's degrees.
The benefits of an online degree are very enticing. You can attend classes from your own home and at your own schedule. There are several respected schools that provide online courses and specifically cater to the special needs facing soldiers in the military. The benefits range from convenience to lower tuition costs.
Here is a quick list of benefits to attending school online:
Some of the degrees available online include:
- Attend class from anywhere.
- Learn at your own pace.
- Attend class anytime. Classes are often 24/7.
- Access course materials online. No need to buy books or visit libraries.
- Large selection of degrees available.
- Excellent selection of schools.
- Lower cost than traditional tuitions.
- Undergraduate Certificates
- Associate Degrees
- Bachelor Degrees
- Graduate Certificates
- Master's Degrees
- MBA Programs
- Doctorate Programs
Military Friendly Schools are geared towards helping military personel and their families continue their education. Online School allows for military personnel to earn accredited online degrees from institutions like University of Phoenix, Grantham University, Kaplan and American Intercontinental University. Visit the Military Spouse Education Page to browse through Military Friendly Schools.