Filing taxes when serving in the military can be a complicated process. Often the military member and spouse are living in a different state (or even country) than their official state of residence. Not to mention, if the military member was deployed during the year, certain parts of his pay will not be taxable. Couple that with allowances received year-round that are non-taxable and military families may be throwing up their hands and asking for help.
Once again, Military One Source is there to help military families deal with all of the complications around filing annual tax returns. Beginning on January 17, 2011, eligible military members and family members may access the H&R Block online tax filing system to file their tax returns at no charge. This includes federal taxes and state taxes for up to three states. In addition, free tax consultation is provided through the program as well as by qualified tax professionals.
It is important to note that the system must be accessed through Military One Source. Using the public H&R Block website will result in filing fees. Also, eligible members should not register for an account until January 17th to ensure that they fall under the free program.
Eligible members include:
- Active duty US Army, US Navy, US Marine Corps, and US Airforce
- US National Guard and US Reserve (regardless of activation status). (NOTE: United States Coast Guard personnel, spouses and dependent children are not eligible for this service. USCG should contact their local VITA/Legal Office.)
- Spouses and dependent children of the Services noted above, and who are authorized in DEERS
- A family member who is taking care of the affairs of a service member (in one of the services noted above) when the service member is deployed
- A Severely Injured service member of one of the Services noted above, or a designated family member of a Severely Injured member who is incapable of handling his or her own affairs
In order to participate, on January 17th, visit the Military One Source website at www.militaryonesource.com. Prompts on the homepage will guide you through registering for the service and gaining access to the tax preparation software.