JUNE 14, 2022 – Car insurance functions the same as it usually does when it comes to former and current military policyholders. The difference is all in the pricing and discounts since it is a known fact that military personnel are treated generously with lower car insurance rates and discounts to make it possible. Car insurance for military personnel even makes it possible for them to remain covered when stationed at a base or deployed. There are several big-name and local insurance providers that have or exclusively specialize in this type of auto coverage. There are even several instances of military car insurance stretching over to the families of the policyholder. So, that raises the question of which provider has the best car insurance for military personnel.
Who Qualifies For Military Car Insurance
Let’s get into the specifics of what kind of military personnel are able to get discounted and specialized car insurance because it’s actually a broad criteria. Those that specifically qualify for this type of car insurance are:
- Current or past military service with the Army, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, or Coast Guard
- Service members that have retired or are honorably discharged
- Personnel still enlisted in training and service academies
- Family of service member/policyholder –this includes spouses, former spouses, and children
The Car Insurance That Military Personnel Get
Military personnel, former and current, are legally required to have at least the minimum amount of car insurance their state of residence requires, if any. This isn’t unique to them and is required by all drivers regardless of what walk of life they come from. All the basic coverage and more can be found in military personnels’ car insurance. These coverages include:
- General liability insurance – This is what people generally refer to when they talk about car insurance. General liability is the auto coverage that is mandatory in nearly every state and covers any property damage and injuries you cause in a car accident. Paying for damages that one causes are a legal responsibility across the United States, and each state has its own coverage requirements.
- Collision and comprehensive insurance – Add these two coverages to your car insurance policy, and you have full coverage. Collision coverage comes in to cover your own injuries in an at-fault accident, while comprehensive coverage is there for damages that occur when your car is parked and you’re not present –like when it is parked. Those damages can be vandalism, theft, or environmental damage like a falling object. These coverages aren’t required, but you never know when damages like these can occur.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) – As you may have been wondering when we would mention such coverage, PIP is the auto coverage that insures you for any personal injuries you sustain in an at-fault accident.
- Uninsured motorist coverage – While on the topic of damages that can occur, there is always the chance of running into a driver that doesn’t have car insurance when they should. Uninsured motorist coverage comes in handy for just the occasion.
- Roadside assistance – This can prove to be valuable coverage if your car were to break down while on an expressway or open road. Tows, tire replacements, and more are all covered by optional roadside assistance coverage.
Military Personnel Car Insurance Discounts
When it comes to regular car insurance, there are several discounts one can qualify for. Safe driving, multi-insurance bundles, and new car discounts are some of the most common ones. It’s been reported that military personnel are able to get up to 15% off their car insurance, even if they take it with them to the base they are stationed at. Other insurers that specifically specialize in insurance for military personnel are able to get rates half as much as standard rates.
Where to Get Car Insurance For Military Personnel
USAA is one such example of an insurance company that provides more than just car insurance for former and current military personnel along with their families. Their insurance rates are reported to be much lower than average, and they have great service when it comes to claims. Several national insurance companies like Allstate and Geico have their military programs with their own discounts as well. It is possible to find a local provider that provides insurance for military personnel and all the bonuses it entails. In fact, local insurance providers are known to offer some of the most competitive rates out there. Always weigh your options when picking a car insurance provider so that you and your family can be covered adequately without breaking the bank.