AUGUST 26, 2016, WASHINGTON (NNS) – The Navy updated Sea Shore Flow (SSF) Enlisted Career Paths with the release of NAVADMIN 190/16 Aug. 25.
Here are five things you need to know about SSF and tour length updates just announced:
1. 42 ratings will not be impacted, 13 ratings will require more sea time, and 15 ratings will require less sea time. Depending on how many sea tours you have completed additional sea duty may be required. Overall, 84,500 Sailors will be impacted. 25 ratings are classified as sea-intensive. Sailors in nuclear power trained ratings are not affected by this NAVADMIN.
2. No two ratings are alike. Each rating is assigned an enlisted career path based on the number of sea duty and shore duty billets the rating has, how long initial training takes, and expected retention within the rating. Why this matters to you: The more sea duty billets and/or the fewer shore duty billets in your rating, the longer sea tour lengths are in order to ensure the Fleet is properly manned.
3. Tour length changes as we modernize the Fleet. Platforms change and so does the work requirement and skill sets needed to man the Fleet. With these force structure changes come billet changes and therefore tour length changes.
4. Projected Rotation Dates (PRDs) within 12 months of the NAVADMIN’s release will not automatically be changed. Sailors who have current PRDs within 12 months of the release of this NAVADMIN will not have their PRDs adjusted, unless requested by the Sailor (via 1306) or the unit’s Commanding Officer (based on unit readiness needs). Sailors with PRDs outside that 12 month window can expect their PRD will be adjusted to match the new tour length shown in the NAVADMIN. A Sailor’s actual rotation dates can vary from their projected rotation date by up to six months. Due to a higher than normal accession mission in 2013, rotation dates for Sailors may have to slide up to six months to ensure the Fleet is properly manned.
5. There are other changes impacting specific ratings.
– AW ratings tour lengths are broken out separately with decreased time on sea duty.
– IT rating now has Sea/Shore rotation. MA rating has additional dependent restricted tour requirements.
– Nuclear power ratings are not impacted by this NAVADMIN. Refer to NAVADMIN 284/15 for specific nuclear rating career path information.