Sailors are eligible to receive Submarine Duty Incentive Pay:
- While attached under orders to a submarine
- While serving as an operator or crewmember of an operational submersible (including an undersea exploration or research vehicle)
- While undergoing training preliminary to assignment to a nuclear powered submarine
- While undergoing rehabilitation after assignment to a nuclear powered submarine
- In the case of a member qualified in submarines, while attached as a member of a submarine operational command staff, whose duties require serving on a submarine during underway operations as follows.
1. During 1 calendar month–48 hours. Hours, however, served underway in excess of 48 hours as a member of a submarine operational command staff during any of the immediately preceding 5 calendar months, and not already used to qualify for incentive pay, may be applied to satisfy the 48 hour underway time requirements for the current month.
2. During any 2 consecutive calendar months, when requirements have not been met for the first month–96 hours.
3. During any 3 consecutive calendar months, when requirements have not been met for the first 2 months–144 hours.
- While receiving instruction to prepare for assignment to a submarine of advanced design, or
- While receiving instruction to prepare for a position of increased responsibility of a submarine.