In order to help Navy servicemembers further their education, a number of programs are in place. Education benefits for Navy servicemembers includes the following:
- The Tuition Assistance (TA) program pays up to 100 percent of the cost of courses taken at accredited institutions while off-duty, with a $4,500 per academic year maximum.
- The Navy College Program (NCP) gives Navy servicemembers academic credit for the training they receive, and for the work they perform while serving on active duty. This might include courses completed through distance learning or a class taught on ship while underway.
- The Loan Repayment Program allows Navy servicemembers serving their first enlistment to receive up to $65,000 to use toward paying off qualifying student loans.
- The Servicemembers Opportunity College (SOC) is a consortium of schools that make it easy for servicemembers and their families to transfer credits and complete a degree program.
- The Vice Admiral E.P. Travers Loan Program awards interest-free loans to eligible children (under 23 years of age) and spouses of active-duty and retired Navy servicemembers. Loans range from $500 to $3,000 per academic year.
- The Admiral Mike Boorda Seaman to Admiral Program provides loans from $500 to $3,000 per academic year to active-duty students enrolled in the following commissioning programs: Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP), Medical Enlisted Commissioning Program (MECP), and Marine Meritorious Commissioning Program (MCP).
- The Spouse Tuition Aid Program (STAP) is a need-based loan available to spouses residing with their active duty servicemembers while stationed overseas. STAP offers no-interest loans of up to $3,000 per year.
- The Anchor Scholarship Program awards more than 40 scholarships of $500 to dependents and spouses of Navy servicemembers. The scholarships are awarded based on academic proficiency, extracurricular activities, character, and financial need.
Every U.S. Navy servicemember will want to take advantage of the numerous education benefits. As everyone knows the higher your education the higher your standard of living. Make your family proud!