Interested in a career in the National Guard? Follow these 6 simple steps, and see if you have what it takes to join the National Guard.
- Is The National Guard Right For Me?
- Talk To The Recruiter
- Take The Aptitude Test
- Get a Physical
- Process In
- Go to Basic Training
- Learn Your Job
The National Guard has physical, academic, and legal qualifications.The information presented here is only a basic outline of the qualifications. Before enlisting, you will undergo a detailed medical examination and background check. Your recruiter will provide you with more exact information and make recommendations regarding your qualification status.
- You must be in good health and have no major physical handicaps.
- The minimum age to join the National Guard is 17. Persons under age 18 must obtain the consent of a parent or legal guardian.
- You must be either currently in High School or have a High School Diploma or GED.
- You must also obtain a minimum qualifying score on the Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery exam (ASVAB). Soon after you contact a recruiter, they will take you to where this test is administered to see if you are qualified. Your ASVAB score will also determine which Air Force Specialty Codes (AFSC) or Military Occupational Specialties (MOSs) you qualify for.
- You must have no major criminal convictions.