A commissioned officer on active duty as a result of a call or order to active duty for a period of at least 1 year:
- Who is an officer of the Regular or a Reserve Component of the Army who is in the Veterinary Corps.
- Who is an officer of the Regular Air Force in the Biomedical Sciences Corps and holds a degree in veterinary medicine.
- Who is a veterinary officer of the Regular or Reserve Corps of the Public Health Service.
- Who is in a Reserve component of the Air Force, of the Army or the Air Force without specification of component, or of the National Guard, who is designated as a veterinary officer or is an officer in the Biomedical Sciences Corps of the Air Force and holds a degree in veterinary medicine.
A veterinary officer on active duty less than 1 year, other than active duty for training, is eligible to receive special pay under this section. This includes:
- Reservists called to active duty for more than 30 days but less than 1 year, other than active duty for training.
- Active duty officers involuntarily retained under 10 U.S.C. 12305
- Active duty officers who voluntarily agree to remain on active duty for less than 1 year when officers are involuntarily retained on active duty under 10 U.S.C. 12305