Get Social!
Follow on your favorite social networking sites:

Military Family Appreciation Month!
Online Schools | Find Jobs



Moving-In Housing Allowance

Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA) is paid in lump-sum supplemental payments when a member becomes eligible for Overseas Housing Allowance and incurs occupancy related expenses. This allowance includes three components:

  1. Move-In Housing Allowance/Miscellaneous: Rates are published in the Joint Federal Travel Regulation and reflect average expenditures made by members to purchase household necessities for their residence. This entitlement is paid in a lump-sum and no receipts are required. Examples of such necessities are sinks, toilets, light fixtures, kitchen cabinets, and a refrigerator and stove (which sometimes are not provided in overseas dwellings).
  2. Move-In Housing Allowance/Rent: This covers all rent related expenses; receipts are required. These expenses are fixed, one time, nonrefundable charges levied by the landlord, the landlord(s) agent or a foreign government which the member must pay before occupying a dwelling. Examples are real estate agent fees, redecoration fees, and one-time lease taxes.
  3. Move-In Housing Allowance/Security: These security related expenses are for members assigned to designated areas where dwellings must be modified to minimize exposure to a terrorist or criminal threat. Receipts are required. Expenditures which are not related to the physical dwelling, such as personal security guards or dogs, are not allowed under Move-In Housing Allowance. Move-In Housing Allowance security payments must be approved by the senior officer in the country.
Sponsored Links

Get Your Degree!

Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.

Powered by Campus Explorer

Get an Insurance Quote