Military Enlisted members are provided monetary allowances to pay for uniform replacement and maintenance. These allowances are based on the cost of specific uniform items, and on an estimated “wear out” date for each specific item. The clothing allowance typically is paid on the anniversary of the day members entered the military. People with fewer than three years of service receive a basic clothing allowance to begin replacing items from their initial issue as they wear out. Also, at the end of the first year of active duty, enlisted troops receive only half of the yearly allowance because it is assumed they do not need to replace any clothing in their first six months. After enlisted troops complete three years on active duty, they begin receiving the standard clothing allowance, which is higher than the basic allowance. Below are the uniform replacement/maintenance allowances for each of the military service. The FY 2010 rates are effective from October 1, 2009 through September 30, 2010.
Types of Allowances
- A. Initial Clothing Allowance is how much an entire set of uniforms would cost. In most cases, uniforms are issued to new recruits, but some recruits (such as prior service) may be given the allowance instead and instructed to purchase their own uniforms from the Military Clothing Sales store.
|2011 Standard Initial Clothing (Uniform) Allowances (Enlisted Only)|
|Army||Navy||Air Force||Marine Corps||Coast Guard|
- B. Cash Clothing Replacement Allowances are provided to enlisted members upon the anniversary month each successive year following the provision of an initial clothing allowance. Cash clothing replacement allowances are for replacement of required uniform items based on a normal wear rate. Those with less than three years of service receive the basic rate (on the assumption that their uniforms are still fairly new and don’t need to be replaced as much). Additionally, their first annual payment will be only 1/2 of the basic rate (on the assumption that little would have to be replaced during their year of service).
|2011 Cash Clothing Replacement Allowances|
|Type||Army||Navy||Air Force||Marine Corps||Coast Guard|
- After three years of service, members receive the standard rate each year. The standard allowance provides for continued replacement and maintenance of unique military items that would normally require replacement after completion of 3 years of active duty.
- This allowance is not taxable.
- The amounts following payment amounts may differ from service to service.
Military Clothing Maintenance Allowance (Enlisted Only)
|2011 Military Clothing Maintenance Allowance|
|Type of Duty||Basic||Standard||Basic||Standard|
|Reserve (per drill)||4.27||6.10||4.49||6.41|
For more information about military enlisted clothing (uniform) allowances, see Department of Defense (DOD) Pay Regulation, Volume 7A (Active Duty & Reserve Pay), Chapter 29—Clothing Monetary Allowances.