Preparing for the ASVAB test is essential to succeeding. Your score on the test will determine a great deal of your future in the U.S. Military, and therefore you should aim to score as high as possible. Here are a few tips on preparing for the test:
- It is important that you dedicate ample time to study, but you also want to be sure not to overdo it!
- Rest is crucial to studying, as it allows new materials to sink in. Thus, finding a balance between intensive preparation and resting time is important.
- Begin studying by focusing on topics that you struggle with so that you have more time to practice and absorb the material.
- Improve your vocabulary
- Unanswered questions or incomplete tests do influence your score therefore answer all questions.
Becoming familiar with how the test is scored with help you get a better idea of what sections you need to focus on. The ASVAB is made up of 10 tests. The results of four of those sub-tests — Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Arithmetic Reasoning, and Mathematics Knowledge — are combined to create the Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT). A good score is important in securing a position in any military branch.
The AFQT score is computed as follows:
- First, Work Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension are combined to create Verbal Expression (VE).
- Next, a “weighted score” of Arithmetic Reasoning (AR) and Mechanical Comprehension (MC) is calculated. (This means that the level of difficulty of the questions is taken into consideration.)
- Then, the AFQT score is calculated according to the formula: VE x 2 + AR+ MC. Finally, the AFQT score is converted into a “percentile score,” which ranges between 1-99 points (1=lowest, 99=highest).
A candidate who scores a 50 on the AFQT scores in the 50th percentile, which is the average ASVAB score.
JobTestPrep provides sample questions to help you prepare for the exam, so that you can gain a higher score on the exam. Also, familiarizing yourself with the various test sections such as verbal, math, science & technical, and spatial, will help build your confidence and readiness for the test. Start preparing for the ASVAB practice pack that contains study guides, practice tests, answer explanations, score reports, and more.