Serving in the Army National Guard, you have so many ways to earn money for college:
- The Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve will pay you up to $317 per month for full time enrollment.
- The Montgomery GI Bill “Kicker” offers qualifying members in certain critical units up to $200 per month or $350 per month for officer candidates.
- The 100% Federal Tuition Assistance Program offers eligible applicants funding for up to 100% of tuition costs.
- Your Army National Guard paycheck pays you a competitive part-time salary. For two days of weekend training, you will receive four days’ active duty pay.
- The Army National Guard also offer significant Enlistment Bonuses to qualifying candidates.
In addition to these federal benefits, certain states offer up to 100% tuition assistance.
The Army National Guard offers the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) to help with college expenses. This benefit will pay you up to $317 a month for full-time college enrollment with no contribution from you.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalency.
- Have a 6-year enlistment obligation.
- Must have an MOS or complete OBC (Officer Basic Course)
- Serve in a drilling unit and remain in good standing.
MGIB-SR Kicker Program The MGIB Kicker is an incentive, not an entitlement. Applicants and soldiers must apply for and be qualified to receive this incentive at the time of enlistment or reenlistment by signing an ARNG MGIB Kicker Contract, NGB Form 5435-R or NGB Form 5435-1-R, Supplemental.
- The basic rules to qualify for the Kicker are as follows:
- Enlist/reenlist or extend to serve in the selected reserve for six years
- Complete Initial Active Duty for Training or Officer Basic Course
- Have a high school Diploma Enlist in a valid, vacant position
- For NPS applicants, be a CAT I-IIIA (50 or higher on ASVAB)
- For PS applicants, be MOS qualified Contact an Army National Guard recruiter today to find out exactly how much money you can make.
Independent Study Opportunities in the National Guard
The Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Support (DANTES) allows members of the Army National Guard to participate in independent university study courses at no cost. The following academic testing programs are available through DANTES:
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST)
- Regents College Examinations (RCE)
- General Educational Development (GED) Exam
- Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- American College Testing Assessment Program (ACT)
- Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT)
- The Praxis Series (NTE)
- Certification Testing