5 Common Mistakes Recruits Make in the First 5 Minutes of Basic Training
There is always someone on the bus heading to basic training that makes at least one of the following obvious mistakes. Don’t let this person be you! Read the following list for advice and tips on how to stay out of trouble at basic training.
- Hair: Do not shave your head before leaving for basic training. This applies to both males and females. Do not even arrive at basic with a military style cut (Flat Top, High-and-tight, etc.). All facial hair should be shaved thoroughly before arriving at basic training.
- Recruiting T-Shirts: When you enlist in any branch of the military your recruiter may give you a t-shirt with military insignia. Do not wear this shirt to basic training unless you want to be yelled at by your drill sergeants.
- Loud Clothing: You should not wear clothes that are out of the ordinary or will draw attention. For example, a recruit wearing a bright yellow one-piece jump suit is more than likely going to get attention from a drill sergeant than the recruit wearing the plain white t-shirt next to him. If you haven’t guessed by now, you don’t want attention from a drill sergeant.
- Luggage: If colorful clothing will catch the drill sergeants attention, than you can be sure colorful luggage will too. Leave your luggage at home if it has any of the following items: flowers, cartoon characters, team logos, etc.
- Attitude: When you first get to basic training it is important not to show any type of attitude. Do not get off the bus with a big smile on your face, or stand in formation acting as if you are enjoying every minute of getting yelled at by a drill sergeant. Your goal at this point in basic training is to blend in.
SrA Nick VanWormer is the author of the ALL NEW book: The Ultimate Air Force Basic Training Guidebook available at UltimateBasicTraining.com. If you are going into the Air Force or Army
, you NEED to go to www.UltimateBasicTraining.com