At Coast Guard Basic Training you will need to learn to stand at attention properly. The purpose of the position of attention is to instill military bearing and self discipline. Standing at attention also shows honor and respect.
You stand in the following manner:
- Smartly bring your left heel against the right.
- Turn your feet out equally to form an angle of 45 degrees. Keep your heels on the same line and touching.
- Your legs should be straight but not stiff at the knees.
- Keep your hips and shoulders level and your chest lifted.
- Your arms should hang naturally, thumbs along the trouser seams, palms facing inward toward your legs, and fingers joined in their natural curl.
- Keep your head and body erect. Look straight ahead. Keep your mouth closed and your chin pulled in slightly.
- Stand still and do not talk.